Thursday, August 24, 2006

Enough Slamming God's People!

I have had enough. And even then some.

I am now committing myself to sticking up for the church. I know...God is our defense and my top priority is to defend God's honor, but there is a sense in which I think God's honor is at stake.

What am I talking about?

Within the past few months and years, I have heard a steady stream of "Christians" attack Christians who have strong convictions or hold to traditional approaches to Christianity. Sadly, many of these statements tend to come from younger beleivers, some of whom perfer to identy with the emerging church.

Here are some statements I have heard or read lately that illustrate this:

"I'd rather hang out with lost people than Christians."

"The folks down at the bar do a better job taking care of one another than the church does."

"Walking down the street one day I saw someone walking toward me earing a t-shirt with “Jesus” in big, red letters on the front. As I got closer, I saw in smaller letters: “protect us from your followers.” In my experience, most of the bad done to me in business or personal relationships has been done by those claiming to be Christian and inerrantists. Those that were most helpful played golf on Sunday mornings."

"Jesus always attacked religious people but loved hanging out with prostitutes and drunks and 'sinners.'"

"I'm sick of church people. I want to be around people who are real."

Since when did it become so cool to despise God's people? Call me uncool, but I love the church, I love God's people, and I'd rather be with a brother in Christ than a rebel against God. That doesn't mean I don't have compassion for that lost person, or desire to spend time with them to influence them toward Christ, but I have the deepest and greatest common bond with fellow believers.

Jesus loved the church and died for her. Stop slamming her and pray for her and love her. If you don't, you can't be Christ-like. Have you ever stopped to think that when you slam the church you're slamming who Christ died for, is praying for, and is working to purify? So, in a sense, when you slam the children of God, you're dishonoring their Father. Think about that before you drag God's people through the mud again.

2 Comments:

At 24.8.06, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brett, I agree with the spirit and frustration you're stating, however, two points:

1.) Generally, sociologists will tell you that widely held perceptions ARE rooted in some fraction of truth. While I love my church, hearing a fellow deacon state that we shouldn't accept people into the church that consume alchol doesn't help that perception and it isn't Biblical.

2.) You have to always keep in context the worldview of who is making such comments. If these are folks with a profession of belief in and salvation in Christ, then you're 100% on the mark. If, however, these folks are lost, it changes the perspective from being slanderous to God, but a reactive comment that signals their lack of understanding of their need for God.

I'm not disagreeing with you, friend. I'm certainly one that could fire off a "Church would be great if not for the people" kind of comment (but I won't do that here). My saying that would be a sin for a different reason than a lost person saying it.

Accordingly, they should be handled differently.

Just my thoughts...

 
At 24.8.06, Blogger Brett said...

Well said...

In this case I'm speaking to people who I assume to be genuine Christians.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home