Saturday, September 24, 2005

Two Faces of Country Music

I'm not a country music fan, but I enjoy watching country music, as an outsider looking in. On one hand, you have the wholesome, family-friendly side of country music. On the other hand, you have the hard drinking, carousing, sensual side of country music. I witnessed this dichotomy first hand this week while I was eating lunch with my family in an Italian restaurant. Only in the south can you sit in an Italian restaurant and hear a country music station blaring over the speakers. A song came on that talked about a young girl being raised by alcoholic, abusive parents, but ended up having her life redeemed by Christ. The song was unapologetically Christian. This encouraging and touching song was followed by a "let's get drunk and get under the sheets all night long" type of song. The two worldviews presented in these songs were polar opposites.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home