Tuesday, November 22, 2005

The Culture of Litigation


I finally gave in this morning and stopped by the new Starbucks on the way to the office this morning. The long line moved quickly and I overheard the cashier saying more than once, "I'm sorry, we are out of grande and verdi, would you like two talls?" By the time I got near the front of the line, I heard her saying to a customer, "Well, actually, we are not out of grande and verdi cups, but we are out of lids, and we cannot serve them without lids."

A few minutes later a customer said, "I'll take a verdi; I don't need a lid." To which she responded, "I'm sorry, we cannot serve cups without lids." Picture the customer getting ticked:
"What do you mean you cannot serve a cup without a lid? That's ridiculous." At this point another employee, perhaps the manager, stepped up and said, "I'm sorry, sir, but it's company policy not to serve a cup without a lid because of litigation. If you spilled it and burned yourself, you could sue us and we would be liable."

Thank that individual several years ago who successfully sued MacDonald's when she burned herself upon dropping her cup of coffee in her lap. Her gain was our loss.

2 Comments:

At 22.11.05, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Point well taken Brett.
I wonder when our country is going to get to the point where you have to sign a release just to eat out.

Reminds me of a recent lunch run I made to my local Panerra Bread Company. It was graduation week for law school students at our nearby university and the restaurant was swarming with men and women in black suits. I thought to myself that if anyone falls down in here, they're going to get about 30 business cards tossed at them by the new lawyers.

 
At 7.12.05, Blogger Unknown said...

My favorite lawyer story is about an aquarium out in California. They had just installed a new shark exhibit and they wanted to give it a promotion with a bang. They advertized a "lawyers get in half price weekend" to promote it. The state bar came out air waves and television talking about how outrageous and deplorable this was. "How dare they..." They called for a boycott of the aquarium. The weekend of the opening, hundreds of lawyers showed up for their discount.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home