Wednesday, March 07, 2007

How Do You Arrange Your Books?

Ok, here's the deal: I have twelve bookshelves in my study and I'm pretty much out of space. They're, for the most part, full. When I get a new book and then try to fit it on the shelf, I have a hard time finding room for it without transferring other books on other shelfs (to keep them in order). So I'm considering a reorganization of my library to make it easier.

I currently have the following sections in my library:

1. Commentaries
2. Bibles and Greek Helps
3. Systematic Theologies and Dictionaries
4. Current Resources: Books I currently refer to for my current preaching and writing tasks; these are culled from the other sections, then put back.
5. Theology: These are put in the order that systematic theology is typically done.
6. Favorite Authors: Books by Piper, MacArthur, Sproul, Stott, and Lloyd-Jones
7. Biographies
8. History
9. General: in alphabetical order (this is my catch-all category with everything from The Reformed Pastor by Baxter to Dare to Discipline by Dobson.
10. Attractive Sets: think sets like "The Works of Benjamin B. Warfield"

How have you organized your library?

1 Comments:

At 9.3.07, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Commentaries, devotional, history, theology, periodicals, men's ministry, church life and health, stewardship resources, denominational.

I also have a "piling" system instead of a filing system.

And I am presently still in about 6 unpacked boxes since our move late last summer. Wondering how much I needed that stuff to begin with if I haven't missed it in 6 months.

I highly recommend Quickverse software from Parsons technology. This was easily the best significant library investment I've ever made in ministry. Put this on your laptop and you've got the biggest part of your theological library with you at all times.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home