Thursday, March 30, 2006

The Misery of Being a Cubs Fan


The thing I love about so many Cubs fans is that they have moved way beyond the embarassment and disappointment to a well-developed and mature sense of resignation that actually allows them to poke fun at themselves. This is charming. And because so many Cubs fans have reached this point, it makes me almost desirious of wishing them well (heavy emPHASis on almost). The reality is that no matter how much I try to have compassion on the devoted followers of the Cubs, I end up returning to my higher perch by which I look down at the Cubs and know that as long as the Cardinals keep being contenders and the Cubs keep being los...well, I'll be nice...non-contenders, then the universe is functioning properly and life is good.

Mature, seasoned Cubs fans do not enter the season with high hopes. To multitudes of Cubs fans, Opening Day is simply an opportunity to reflect on the reality that the best one can ever hope for is that the Cubs might possibly still be in contention after the All-Star break. And once the Cubs have thrown another season away, their fans can then focus on the positive: "We do have a great, old ballpark."

1 Comments:

At 11.4.06, Blogger Matthew Westerholm said...

Wow, Brett.

I can't imagine how it must feel to be

*S*W*E*P*T*

by a team this bad.

;-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home