Friday, July 14, 2006

Food Friday: Coffee

Cup of Joe. Java. Mud. Murk. Call it what you want, it is America's favorite morning pick-me-up. Who would have dreamed that one of the most successful companies in the past decade would be a chain of coffee shops?

I know, it's not all about the coffee. It's about the atmosphere, the experience. Coffee shops are all the rage. And it's had a significant influence on the evangelical world. Take away the coffee shops and the whole emerging/emergent movement is...*puff*...misfiring synapses in an obscure corner of Brian McLaren's brain.

I remember when coffee was available in two flavors: caffeinated and decaf. At about 50 ceents a cup max, with free refills, it was a cheap way to get the gray mass active.

Times have changed. People in my community regularly pay $3-5 for a cup of coffee every morning. And when you think about the number of flavors available now, Baskin-Robbins doesn't have anything on Starbucks.

Me? I'm not a huge coffee drinker. I can go months without a cup as long as I've got a nice cold Mountain Dew awaiting me each morning. Lately I've been drinking a little more coffee as I'm trying to get out and meet more people instead of being holed up in the office 24/7.

I tried a few of the frilly flavors. But I'll stick with the original. Give me a straight coffee...black. No sugar. No cream.

By the way, I'm sitting in a coffee shop right now.

3 Comments:

At 14.7.06, Blogger misawa said...

Deduct points from my man-card - I'm a frilly coffee drinker when I have a choice. I only drink it black when I need the effect.

Funny thing about the Dew - my fraternity actually had two kegs. One for brew, one for Dew.

 
At 14.7.06, Blogger The Zoner said...

Black. And I drink a lot of it.

I will never, ever pay more than a buck for coffee. I just can't do it.

 
At 14.7.06, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Black all the way. I brew it at home before I leave for work and save some money.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home