Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Ligonier a Little Out of Touch at Times?

I subscribe to Tabletalk magazine, the monthly devotional publication of Ligonier Ministries. I am deeply indebted to Dr. R. C. Sproul for his teaching ministry. To say his teaching has greatly impacted my thinking is an understatement. Tabletalk is a fine publication and I applaud the work of Burk Parsons and the staff at Tabletalk.

However, take a moment to digest this sentence from the August 2006 edition of Tabletalk:
What Boethius does in his tractates is to offer a defense of the doctrine of the Trinity where he assumes the truth of the Nicene position, and then deploys logic in order to demonstrate how Trinitarian theology requires careful analysis of how language is used, and how Aristotelian logical categories can help with this task. (from "Boethius: The Philosopher Theologian" by Carl R. Trueman)
Say what?

According to the Ligonier Ministries website, the materials produced by Ligonier are "designed to fill the gap between Sunday School and seminary." Certainly this is a worthy yet daunting goal. But the sentence above is very heavy on the seminary side of the ledger. Here I am a Doctor and I had to re-read it three times before I even began to feel like I was getting a grasp on it. Granted, I'm only a D.Min., not a Ph.D., but nonetheless...well, just look at that sentence again!

Burk Parsons, the editor of Tabletalk also serves as the Minister of Congregational Life at Saint Andrews Chapel, the church where Dr. Sproul serves as the Minister of Preaching and Teaching. I'm no editor, to which anyone who has read this blog much would agree, but, Burk, I have a word of advice: e-mail the rough drafts of these articles to some people from a little less educated congregations demographically prior to sending these articles to print. A Southern Baptist would be perfect! If you can get a Southern Baptist to understand it, you'll make a lot of headway at getting in that middle range between Sunday School and seminary.


On a sidenote, I recently listened to an interview of Carl Trueman, the author of the notorious sentence above, by Mark Dever. He seemed like a pretty cool cat, and spooky smart.

4 Comments:

At 13.7.06, Blogger Tommy said...

I met R.C.. Sproul for about 30 seconds several years ago at Moody's Pastor's Conference. I wanted to tell him that my favorite book of his was not some theological page turner (tho I have read Chosen by God about 5 times)but rather a novel which I suppose is quasiautobiographical entitled "Thy Brother's Keeper" I believe.

You should have seen his face light up. He loved that work as well.

 
At 9.8.06, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's "Burk" not "Buck," incidentally.

You're right, that sentence was a bit much.

 
At 9.8.06, Blogger Brett said...

Corrected. Sorry about that.

 
At 2.9.06, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brett I'm deeply indebted to the teaching of R.C. Sproul too. The man has been a great blessing. But ever since the defrocking of his son I've been saddened by his public response. It's been ugly. Rather than respecting the Presbyterian denomination that defrocked R.C. Sproul Jr. he's just thumbed his nose at them. He even had R.C. Jr. preach at the Ligonier Ministries Conference barely a month after he'd been defrocked. Now with the latest Ligonier scandal I've just been incredibly disillusioned about R.C. Sproul and wondering what to do.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home