Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Youngest Megachurch Pastor in America

When the Church at Brook Hills called Dr. David Platt this summer as their new Senior Pastor he was only 27 years old. Now 28, he might be the youngest megachurch pastor in American history.

How did Platt get into a prominent pulpit at such a young age. Well, for one, to say he has an above average intellect is a gargantuan understatement. By 25, he had 2 bachelor's degrees, 2 master's degrees, and a Ph.D. He was soon hired to teach preaching and apologetics at his alma mater (www.nobts.edu).

What excites me is that David is very passionate about God-centered preaching and ministry. Also, when David speaks there is Piperesque language, such as "spreading a passion for God's glory" and "...the preacher exposes the voice of God to magnify the glory of God." Throwing in a Martyn Lloyd-Jones quote in a recent Brook Hills message earns some brownie points as well.

When I was at the Desiring God conference a couple of weekends ago, I believe it was Tim Keller that quoted Lloyd-Jones from his book Preaching and Preachers where ML-J shared a story about a young up and coming preacher in Wales that God was greatly using and several older, experienced preachers were talking about how God might greatly use him when one of the older men asked, "I have one concern...I don't think he's been broken yet." To which the rest of the older men all nodded their heads in concerned agreement.

I'm not sure that David has been broken yet, but the word is that he is very humble. I pray so.

May God protect this young man and use him significantly for His glory.

1 Comments:

At 26.10.06, Blogger D.R. said...

David was one of my classmates in Seminary and the grader for my "Proclaiming the Bible" class with Jim Shaddix. It is definitely good to see a guy like him taking over a church the size of the Church at Brook Hills. I think God is going to do a great work through David serving as the spiritual leader of that congregation.

BTW, thanks for stopping my blog. Oh, and I can answer your question for those guys - it is NO. I am interesting in seeing how they answer the question though.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home