Tuesday, December 20, 2005

The Declining Popularity of Large Vehicles

High gas prices have made their mark.

About three years ago I was driving past our local elementary school right before the children were dismissed. A long line of cars, scratch that, SUVs and vans, stretched along the side of the road. I decided to count the number of cars (think Accord, Corolla, etc.) vs. the number of large vehicles. I counted only 4 cars out of over 40 vehicles. So the ratio was roughly 9:1.

The other day I decided to do a similar count. This time there was a ratio of about 4:1.

I've noticed that more and more men in our church are driving small cars while their wives continue to drive SUVs and vans. Of course, most of the men have fairly long commutes to work, while most of the women are stay-at-home moms carting their kids to school and events.

Our family fits the mold. I drive a Civic and my wife drives an Odyssey.

1 Comments:

At 21.12.05, Blogger Sarah E. said...

Brett,
I always check your blog but never comment. Now you get two in one night!

We recently bought a car. I didn't feel like I was quite ready for a minivan and with gas prices so high, an SUV was out of the question. So for now we decided on an Impala. A nice big sedan with so much more trunk space then we have ever had. I can't wait to travel with it this Christmas, Daniel won't have to be packed in so tight.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home